top of page

Carer's Allowance

1. How it works

You could get £62.70 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You won’t be paid extra if you care for more than one person.

Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that you and the person you care for get. You have to pay tax on it if your income is over the Personal Allowance.

How you’re paid

You can choose to be paid:

  • weekly in advance

  • every 4 weeks

  • every 13 weeks

It will be paid into an account, for example your bank account.

What else you can get

For each week you get Carer’s Allowance you’ll automatically get National Insurance credits.

You may also be able to apply for:

  • support from your local council

  • a Council Tax Reduction

  • Income Support if you’re on a low income

  • income-based Employment and Support Allowance if you can’t work because of a medical condition or disability

  • Pension Credit if you’re over working age

2. Eligibility

The person you care for

The person you care for must already get one of these benefits:

  • Personal Independence Payment - daily living component

  • Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

  • Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment


You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:

  • you’re 16 or over

  • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone

  • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)

  • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces

  • you’re not in full-time education

  • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more

  • you earn no more than £116 a week after tax and some expenses - these will be assessed when you apply

  • you’re not subject to immigration control

You might still be eligible if you’re moving to or already living in another EEA country or Switzerland.

3. Effect on other benefits

Carer’s Allowance can affect the other benefits that both you and the person you care for get.

Effect on the benefits of the person you care for

When you claim Carer’s Allowance, the person you care for will stop getting:

  • a severe disability premium paid with their benefits

  • an extra amount for severe disability paid with Pension Credit, if they get one

  • reduced Council Tax - contact their local council to find out if this affects them

Effect on your benefits

When you claim Carer’s Allowance your other benefits may be reduced, but your total benefit payments will usually either go up or stay the same.

Carer’s Allowance doesn’t count towards the benefit cap.

If you get Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit, you must contact the Tax Credits office to tell them about Carer’s Allowance claim.

4. Make a claim

You will need

Before you apply make sure you have your:

  • National Insurance number (if you have a partner you’ll need theirs too)

  • bank or building society details

  • employment details and latest payslip if you’re working

  • P45 if you’ve recently finished work

  • course details if you’re studying

You also need details of the person you care for. You need their:

  • date of birth and address

  • National Insurance number if they’re 16 or over

  • Disability Living Allowance reference if they’re under 16

You can backdate your claim by up to 3 months.

Other ways to apply

If you can’t apply online, you can apply by post. The address to send your application to is at the end of the form.

Appeal a decision

You can appeal to the Social Security and Child Support Tribunal if you disagree with a decision. You must usually ask for ‘mandatory reconsideration’ before you appeal.

5. Report a change in circumstances

You must report any change in your circumstances if you’re claiming or have applied for Carer’s Allowance.

This includes if you get a job, temporarily stop providing care for someone or stop being a carer altogether.

If you temporarily stop providing care for someone

You can still get Carer’s Allowance if you temporarily stop providing care for someone. This means any period when you spend less than 35 hours a week caring for the other person. For example, you could get Carer’s Allowance for up to:

  • 12 weeks if either of you go into respite care or hospital

  • 4 weeks if either of you go on holiday

**All information in this post was taken from the government website, please see the website for more information**

bottom of page